Using a sports model, FRC allows students to compete head to head with other teams with their own robot. The team must design, build, and program a robot to accomplish a number of specific challenges. Everyone on the FRC team must work together to develop strategies and incorporate advanced engineering principles. As written on the FIRST website, teammembers get to:
- Design, build, and program robots
- Apply real-world math and science concepts
- Develop problem-solving, organizational, and team-building skills
- Compete and cooperate in alliances and tournaments
- Earn a place in the World Championships
- Qualify for nearly $9.7 million in college scholarships
The technical and engineering skills learned by FRC members will last a lifetime and provide students with valuable skills to incorporate in their futures.